Thursday, October 14, 2004

The Autograph

I don't collect autographs.

It must be close to 9PM. I am waiting with Chitappa outside the room where he is to come and meet people. It is the SIES School in Mumbai. The corridor was full of people, young and old alike waiting to meet him. The wait lasts 15 minutes. We walk in and he is drinking a cup of tea. Chitappa introduces himself and so do I . He smiles at us.

He: Enna padikara ?
Me: Engineering panren sir.
He: Good..enna field.. endha college?
Me: Electronics and Communication Engineering, Shanmugha College, Thanjavur
He: Thanjavur...Good.. Mumbai le enna panra?
Me: BARC le final year project panren sir, High energy Physics Divsion le..Image processing project.
He: Keep it up. Engineering apram enna panna pora? BARC join pannalame?

( Chitappa gives him a piece of paper and asks for his autograph)

Me: US le higher studies panna poren sir.

( He signs the piece of paper and chitappa gives him another piece of paper)

He: Good...higher studies mudicha apram thirumbi varanam. Varuve illa?
Me: Yes sir.... Kandippa

( He hands the second piece of paper to me )

He: All the best.
Me: Thank you sir.

I walk out with the piece of paper in my hand. My first and only autograph. Three years ago.

Today I don't know where that piece of paper is. I might have lost it. But I have lost only that piece of paper.

I still don't collect autographs.

Happy birthday dear Mr.President.


3 Comments:

At December 23, 2004 at 11:27 PM, Blogger Barath said...

The memories...its worth more than that piece of paper!

 
At January 5, 2005 at 6:48 AM, Blogger jhgasuhvkjahklnsdlksnlknmlwvlckn said...

Must be memorable to meet with a great scientist and person - even if his time at the helm of indian affiars may be limited, his legacy will live on in memories like this...nice anecdote!

Cheers,
Rajesh

 
At May 7, 2005 at 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

loved the way u unravelled the story!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home